Friday, June 27, 2008

The Great Adventure

For those of you just joining us, and since as I type this, the only subscribers are the contributors, you're joining us in progress, welcome to the great adventure of the Village. My dream for the Village is church worthy of that title, the church. As a twenty something, I had given up that any organized religion or church was really worthy of it's charter from God. Religion had become about maintaining institutions, not being the change God wanted in the world. I never doubted the existence of a benevolent, creator creature. I never doubted the God had a son, Jesus. I just doubted that any of the "alleged" spokesmen on Earth, really spoke for God any more. It literally took dating a pastor, and since I am married to her now I tend to frown on that as a technique to get people in the door, to get me in the door of a church.

I have seen glimpses of what God wants a church to be, Ginghamsburg UMC in Dayton, OH but they have some theological leanings I didn't like. Church of the Saviour in Washington, DC, but never anyone where I lived and never one that would agree with my belief that I am the political persuasion I am, liberal on most issues, because I am Christian, not inspite of it.

I want a church that lives, not just talks, the message God love us all and asks that we love each other and God. The Village is going to be that church. We are about creating the kingdom, the reign, whatever your language, of God on Earth.

What will that look like? Everyone (black, white, hispanic, asian, gay, straight, rich, poor, literate, illiterate, powerful, powerless, believer and non-believer) is a beloved child of God. We all contribute to each other and the world. We change each other's lives, our families, our community, and our world not to score points to get into heaven, but because that is what you do when you love and are loved.

So, with nothing more than a dream, we are starting from scratch. Setting out on a frontier.

Wanna come along?

No comments: