Friday, May 8, 2009

How can this be?

I just read a yahoo article about a homeless couple that had a storybook wedding, thanks to a caring congregation in Washington DC. (See the story here: http://tiny.cc/gBnMy.) I give thanks for their story of love, even while living on the streets. I applaud the generousity of a congregation that gifted them with a wedding. But I have to ask: How can a boy be thrown out of his mother's home at age 14, and be homeless in Washington DC for the next 14 years? Dante White, age 28, just got married. Dante and his bride, Nhiahni Chestnut, are still homeless. How can this be?
We live in the United States of America. The economy has tanked, and yet I am sure we are still the richest nation on the planet. Why can't we do better for our people?

I am outraged. I am ashamed.
God weeps.
And we go shopping.

How can this be?

No comments: