Sunday, October 10, 2010

Jesus Freak Week One Conversation

On Sunday, 10/10/10, at The Village, we heard the story of Sara Miles, author of Jesus Freak. A bit of her story is posted in the blog on this page. What reactions do you have to Sara's idea that we might just live as Jesus called the early disciples to live -- to go out our front doors and heal the sick and feed the hungry and get on with it? Sara was an atheist, until one day she received Holy Communion. In her words "Eating Jesus cracked my world open and made me hunger to start sharing food with other people." Now she runs a food pantry that serves more than 800 people every week. What responses do you have to her story? Do you have a sense that God is calling you to act in some passionate response to some need in the world, and if so what is that calling?

1 comment:

SuessK said...

I always feel a deep stirring in my soul whenever I witness another person living "large"...well, living larger than me. The way they live causes me to reflect on what I do and don't do with that ever present call of God on my life. Sarah sounds like someone I would want to meet and watch. Watching another fulfilling their destiny is certainly a honor, a privilage. Feeding & clothing the people in the world around me is easy, perhaps even natural...but forgiving and offering grace to those around me comes slower for me. Sadly, that choice to move beyond hurt to healing oftentimes requires more "heart" than I have and the desire to forgive moves me to closer to God...I need God's heart to overshadow mine in order to have the capacity to forgive. I usually have the "want to want" to forgive...Sarah seems to have tapped into a key element to living out the heart of God...by doing the work, by eating Jesus, she has allowed God's heart to overshadow hers and she is simply following. Amazing and oh, so encouraging.