Sunday, December 27, 2015

We All Need Some Light by Rosie Best (with an assist by Patti Lusher)


So, here we are at the last sermon of 2015. I wonder if you, like me, have been thinking about all the things that have happened in 2015? I know that I came into 2015 very hopeful; 2014 had been a difficult year for a number of reasons and I was very thankful to be saying goodbye to it. Unfortunately, 2015 feels like it’s been one of those years that’s been 2 years worth rolled into one! At the end of January this year, my mother-in-law broke her hip; a week later she broke her other hip… suddenly it seemed that 2015 wasn’t going to be the reprieve we had hoped for. But let’s not make this about me. What’s gone on in the world?

I am a creature of habit, and one of my particular habits is reviewing the news on CNN in the mornings. I like to think that it’s my way of staying abreast of current affairs. 2015 has also been a year full of struggles and depressing news stories. We can look back at the events around the world.  Some of these events that have had an abiding influence on me have included the Charlie Hebdo attack in Paris; the death of Freddie Gray and Sandra Bland; the Charleston shooting of Rev. Clementa Pinckney and the 8 others that were with him in a Bible study; and the Syrian refugee crisis, which had us questioning appropriate ways to respond to those in need.

It’s not just the events of the year that have an impact on us. It’s also how we talk about the events. I have to say that I’ve been particularly disheartened by this, this year. People who should know better, have used the opportunities that they have, or the platform that they have, to be divisive and hateful in the way they speak.

“The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not overcome it.”

Okay, that’s a good reminder.  Over the times I’ve spoken in front of you, I’ve been pretty open with you all about the fact that I am someone who has struggled with depression and anxiety for a lot of my life. I have to be really careful because I can get very easily overwhelmed when I’m reading the news or paying attention to the way things are being spoken about, because I can get very easily caught up in how dark it is around me.

“The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not overcome it.”

And it’s also good to be reminded that what we focus on can very quickly become what we notice most. When we focus on the dark things that are going on, when we pay attention to the predominantly negative messages that are being loudly trumpeted from political campaigns, it’s very easy to get depressed and to lose hope. So, it’s very good to be reminded that:

“The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not overcome it.”

It is a really good thing; it can help us keep our perspective when we feel lost or despairing.

So let’s review some of those events. In my personal life, yes, my mother-in-law started the year by breaking both her hips. But on Christmas day, Linda and I were able to eat a wonderful buffet lunch with her, and enjoyed hearing her laughter at the table.  She’s had an incredibly difficult year, but she has survived it with grace and dignity.

And what of those world events?

·      The Charlie Hebdo attack in Paris led to a “Je suis Charlie” movement. People everywhere said, “I’m not going to let these terrorists get the better of us.”

·      Black Lives Matter became further defined and understood this year; people got to know why it was not sufficient to say “all lives matter.” It’s an acknowledgment that for too long, black people have been considered an underclass. We are all human beings who deserve dignity and worth, no exceptions.

·      The Charleston shooting of Rev. Clementa Pinckney led to questions being asked about the confederate flag and its removal from the South Carolina State house.

·      Where are we with the refugee situation? Well, we just celebrated a holiday about a refugee couple, so poor that they couldn’t afford lodging, but in view of the health of the pregnant woman, they got temporary accommodations in a stable. And that should be the story we all think about in reference to refugees.

“The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not overcome it.”

Where are we going to put our focus as this New Year comes in?

I know for me, I am planning to pay a little more attention to when I get overwhelmed with the negativity around me. I hope to pay less attention to those messages (maybe turn off CNN, or the debate, or Facebook, if necessary) and focus more on hopeful messages. And I need to do this for my own mental health. It’s important that I tune into the things that will help me to be effective and healthy in the New Year; otherwise, I may end up drowning in despair.  

It’s about making healthy choices. I’m not a big one for New Year’s resolutions – they’ve always felt like self-defeating statements… eat less, exercise more (YEAH, RIGHT!). Last year, I made one ‘resolution’ if you can call it that. It was to ‘drink more water.’ It worked, I did manage to drink more water, and I found that it helped me be healthier than I had been in the year before.  I even got to the point where I started to like the taste of water! It’s important that if we are to be healthy, we need to replenish the resources of our body and, as our body is 65% water, that maybe a good place to start.

Christiane Amanpour recently interviewed Sarah Silverman, the Jewish stand-up comedian, for CNN, in regards to her movie “I Smile Back.” Silverman’s character in the movie (which I haven’t seen, so I can’t recommend) is battling with depression and substance abuse issues. In the interview, Silverman says, “Darkness cannot exist in the light, and when you put light on things it changes what they are.” She later went on to use the Mr. Rogers idea that “if it’s mentionable, it’s manageable.” When I mention my struggles with depression, maybe it helps one other person realize that they can get help, too.

You born-and-raised Americans might be more familiar with this quote but I had to look it up. What Mr. Rogers said was, “Anything that’s human is mentionable, and anything that is mentionable can be more manageable. When we can talk about our feelings, they become less overwhelming, less upsetting, and less scary. The people we trust with that important talk can help us know that we are not alone.”

So the darkness in the world doesn’t get to win. I don’t exactly know how that is possible, but I know that the message of John 1 is that “The light shines in the darkness and the darkness did not overcome it.”

Different versions of this verse have put it this way: Darkness can never extinguish it, Darkness did not comprehend it, Darkness has never put it out, Darkness has not mastered it, didn’t overtake it, has not overpowered it. Or, in my book: Darkness doesn’t get to win. To me that is very hopeful.

So, what message do we take from this? Well there’s one other verse from this morning’s reading that I want to draw your attention to:

“And the Word became flesh and lived among us, and we have seen his glory, the glory as of a father’s only son, FULL OF GRACE AND TRUTH.”

Jesus came (as a vulnerable human being, a baby born in a manger) and was/is full of Grace AND Truth. Please note that the GRACE comes first because we can’t handle the truth without grace.

God is fully cognizant that I, as a frail human being, am prone to getting overwhelmed with the darkness, and comes to me to remind me that the darkness doesn’t win. Francis of Assisi said, “All of the darkness in the world cannot extinguish the light of a single candle.”

These are words that give us hope.

Finally, I don’t know whether you’ve ever noticed this, but I am English by birth. One of the English traditions is the Queen’s Speech, which happens every year on Christmas Day at 3pm. This year, the Queen (or mummy as I like to call her) used the idea of ‘moments of darkness’ in her speech – quoting the John 1 passage that we read today. Pointing to the hope that is an essential part of this gospel message.

So how do we ensure that we don’t let the darkness overwhelm us? We commit to love one another – an activity which brings light. And, as Eleanor Roosevelt once said, “It is better to light a candle that to curse the darkness.”

Sometimes we need to remind one another about the light that is within us and express hope to one another through that reminder.

We don’t have to try to be bigger than we are; we just have to stand with our little light. And light attracts other light, and pretty soon we have a community of light.

No comments: