Sunday, July 10, 2016

Could It Be Me? by Karen Shepler (with an assist by Patti Lusher)


I’ll soon be moving into a condo that I just bought.  Just before I signed the papers making it mine, I stopped by to see if I could talk to one of the people who lives in the same complex.  There are only four condos in the complex so I thought it would be good to know at least one of the people there.  They will soon be my neighbors, and to tell the truth I wanted to get some scoops on what the neighborhood and the condo association was like. 

            I met Jackie, a woman who wishes she could retire, but has to keep working because she can’t afford to do anything else.  She is happy that she’s able to work from home, though.  She seems really content to stay in her condo, smoking and being with her dog.  She told me about the condo association and what they do and don’t do and she told me how great it was to live there in that neighborhood.  She’s nice enough but I don’t know if we’ll become friends but at least I know who she is.

            Today’s scripture is a familiar story to many of us.  It’s about a lawyer who thinks he can outwit Jesus.  He boldly asks Jesus what he has to do to get to heaven.  He already knows the answer since he’s obviously well educated, been to Hebrew school where he had to learn the Torah and other books of the Bible.  He recites the appropriate scriptures about what he is supposed to do, but then, it says, “in order to justify himself”, he asks the second question:  “Who is my neighbor?”  Maybe he thought Jesus would give him a list of people who could be acceptable as neighbors.  Maybe he thought Jesus wouldn’t have an answer to such an ambiguous question. 

            But Jesus, as usual, tells a story in answer to the question. The story is about a man who gets stuck in the wrong part of town at the wrong time.  He’s walking down a dangerous highway, one that’s known for hijackings and robberies, one that everyone knows is better to avoid, but is hard to not use since it’s the main highway between Jerusalem and Jericho.  With no modern vehicles to speed away in, with no doors to lock, and with no real place to hide, this guy is really out there.  And, just like people told him, the robbers and thugs come out and get him, beating him up, taking his shoes and his clothes, and leaving him in a heap on the side of the road. 

            Other people travel down this road at the same hour.  Evidently no one witnessed the beating and robbery.  That happens a lot, doesn’t it?  No witnesses, no way to identify the thugs, no way to hunt them down.  But the people traveling down the road are seemingly not very compassionate.  A couple of them, people whom you would have thought would have stopped, a priest and a lawyer, crossed over to the other side of the road and kept going.  It was finally an outcast, a Samaritan, a person who was hated by the Jews, who stopped to help this Jewish man.  He bound up his wounds, took him to the nearest hotel and paid for his stay and his care, promising to pay for the rest of his caretaking when he came back.   
            So the story ends with Jesus pointing out that the neighbor was the one who showed mercy and tells the questioning lawyer that he is to do the same.

            Seems pretty straightforward doesn’t it?  Of course when we read this, we put ourselves in the story as the Samaritan, the Good Samaritan, the one who of course stopped to help the wounded traveler, who even bound up his wounds, carried him on his donkey, and paid for his stay at the inn.  Of course we would do that. Right?

            I have a spiritual director who I’ve been seeing for a long time – at least 7 years.  She knows me pretty well as a result of our conversations.  Sometimes that’s a good thing, and sometimes, it’s a maddening thing.  Like the last time we met, for example.  As many of you know, the United Methodist General Conference met in May and had discussions about the acceptance of homosexuals in our church.  I call them discussions but they were really debates, cruel conversations and never-ending diatribes on both sides of the issue, leaving us with no new insights and no new decisions.  I have to tell you that by the time General Conference was over, I was seriously looking to change churches, not from The Village, but from United Methodism. I’m grateful for the Village’s connection with the UMC and the UCC as it gives me the option for a more open church in the UCC part.  Anyway – I was lamenting with my director about the hatefulness of the evangelicals in our denomination who are very one sided and rigid, who interpret scripture for their own best interests and who even were caught bribing and coercing delegates from Africa and other countries to vote the way they wanted them to.  I must have gone on for awhile, and finally my director said, “What do you think motivates them?  Why do you think they are doing what they are doing?”  Immediately, I said, “Fear.”  And she, in her wisdom said, “And what do you have in common with them?”  After a moment of thought, I decided I hated her – not really – but what a great question.  What is it that motivates me and makes me do what I do in the church around this issue?  It’s fear.  It’s fear that what I love about the church will go away; it’s fear that I won’t get my way; it’s fear that my voice will be lost somehow – and maybe I’ll lose.  It’s all the same things that they are feeling.  I just hate it when my director is on target!  She got me on this one.

            So when I saw that the scripture for today was the Good Samaritan, I just had to pause and think about where I am in this story.  Kate Matthews, a UCC pastor says, “It seems like a very familiar story about showing compassion even for people we may not want to treat well: a nice little story with a nice little moral, especially for those of us who like to do good deeds for the needy. The story certainly doesn't make our stomach churn or offend our sensibilities; in fact, we tend to hear it with a satisfied ear, as if we believe we would surely do what the "Good" Samaritan did when he was moved by compassion to help the victim of highway robbery. At least, we'd like to think we would. In other words, we put ourselves in the place of the Samaritan, and it's comfortable there.”
            If you look at the story as Jesus tells it, he has us as the one in the ditch.  We are the ones who need a neighbor to help us.  We are the ones lying there helpless and we need our enemies to have compassion on us.  Think about that for a moment.  We need our enemies to have compassion on us.  I need the evangelicals that I quarrel with so much, to be my neighbor, to have compassion on me.  I need those that I judge for whatever reason to have compassion on me.  I have to say, that this whole experience of realizing our connection, that my evangelical enemies are also my brothers and sisters, that my conservative Trump followers are also my brothers and sisters, that those I look upon as less than me – yes, I still do that sometimes – are my brothers and sisters.  We are neighbors, and we are to love them as we love ourselves.

            But it’s also not just about us as individuals.  We love to do charity work, reaching out to people who are different from us and feeling really good about it.  It’s not just about us; it’s about the community as well.  We have heard in the news this week about shootings of black men that are seemingly unjustified, and in Dallas, a place where the police have really worked at being open and compassionate, where those in the demonstration about the injustice were snapping selfies with the police, a sniper killed five officers.  We have lived through the senseless murder of people in Orlando, St Paul, San Bernardino, and Charleston. And the list goes on.  I heard this week that bullying is up in schools all over the country as reported by the Southern Poverty Law Center, starting in the third grade and it is getting worse all the time.  Political rallies have become battlegrounds, with people attacking each other over who to vote for.  Divisive rhetoric is killing us – literally--  and it’s running rampant in our country, affecting the way we live and work with one another.

            According to Bernard Brandon Scott, "Not just individuals have to cross the line, but communities have to cross the line. Yet the crossing of that line always begins with the first Samaritan whose heart is moved by a Jew. Such people are initiating a new world for all of us."  Some of you may know Woody and Judy Trautman.  Woody is now in his nineties with failing health, but the Trautmans have been instrumental in Toledo in forming and maintaining the Multifaith Council.  Back in the early 2000s, Woody had a passion for interfaith dialogue.  There was an organized group in Toledo that consisted of pastors and leaders of various faith groups, but all we did was meet together once a month and periodically do some kind of joint project or service.  That group organized the first interfaith Habitat build in the country.  But it was just the leaders who benefited from that group.  Woody and Judy wanted us to really get to know each other better, to sit and eat and talk together.  And so they worked very hard and reached out to the interfaith community and formed the Multifaith Council of Toledo.  They now have annual dinners, they meet at each others’ houses of worship, they were instrumental in getting Toledo declared a Compassionate Community, they have developed interfaith gardens across the city, and have had youth activities, calling on our next generation to live in peace.

            The Multifaith Council is changing our community.  Woody and Judy and now a host of others were the first Samaritans to cross the road and reach out to the “other.”  In this time of increased bullying, even by at least one of our political candidates, increased violence and decreased civil conversations, the community needs to join together and realize that we are all neighbors.  It doesn’t matter whether we are gay or straight, Muslim or Jew, Christian or Atheist or Agnostic, black, white or brown.  It doesn’t matter how old or young we are, what our cultural heritage is, what our political affiliation is, or where we live or eat.  We are all neighbors.  And I have to tell you that if I were the one lying along side of the road, I would want any of them to help me.  Wouldn’t you?

            So what do we do with this story?  How do we live it out in our lives?  Who is my neighbor?  And maybe most importantly, how do I get to know him/her?  How can I learn to love my neighbor as myself and stop the judging and the holier-than-thou attitude that threatens to undo me and us?  Who is your neighbor?  And who is it that you are at odds with and need to show compassion to?  Can we cross over to the other side of the road to help the one who doesn’t think or look like us?  Can we follow the example of Jesus and accept all people as our neighbors, even if we disagree with them?  Can we reach out to a Muslim?  Can we reach out to someone of a different racial background?  Can we accept it if they reach out to us?  Could the priest who walked on the other side of the road be me?  Could the Levite who walked on the other side of the road be me?  Could the one lying in the ditch be me?  Could it be me?
I’d like for you to turn to another person and share with them how you might cross the road in this next week.  Who is it that you are having a hard time with – arguing, fighting, misunderstanding – who is it who makes you so mad you can’t see straight because they are so narrowly focused?  What can you do to reach out to them and to see them as your brother or sister in Christ?

We really do need each other.  And we need to develop ways to agree to disagree, letting go of the need to be right, or righteous, to be on top, to be the best, to win.    Everyone is our neighbor, whether we like it or not. Jesus calls us to show mercy.  Go and do likewise.  Amen.

           

No comments: