Sunday, April 7, 2013

Jesus Brings Peace by Cheri Holdridge (with an assist by Kurt Young)




When I had finished my 3 year degree from seminary, I knew a lot about the Bible and a lot about how to think through a situation from a theological, ethical, and moral perspective. It was an important foundation for ministry, I value my seminary education. Then I went to my first church, and thankfully I was an associate pastor with a senior pastor who was a good mentor. Craig Rice taught me how to be a good pastor. He taught me some really practical things that I did not learn in seminary, like the mechanics of how to do a wedding, a funeral and a baptism. He also helped me debrief my first few years of responses to pastoral care situations so that I could learn from those experiences and be a better pastor.

One day, early on, it was my turn to go to the retirement home near our church and serve communion. There were three pastors at our church and in a staff meeting Craig just made an off-hand comment that I needed to go on such and such a night and do this service. I asked some questions about logistics and I must have sounded scared because he asked if I felt ready to do it. I said, “Yes, I can do it, it’s just that this will be my first time to serve communion on my own. It’s a really important thing to me, and I want to do it well.” So he talked me through the details and logistics carefully to put me at ease. 

I still remember that first night. It was a holy night as I shared communion with some of God’s oldest saints and let them know that they are not forgotten by God. I was 26 years old at the time. I was green. But for the next 4 years, I went every 3 months to that retirement home and those folks welcomed me. It was my honor to bring them the sacrament. Craig taught me how, and then I carried on that practice. Craig sent me, as someone had sent him years before, and before him someone else.   That’s how we do this, we learn from those who have gone before us in our faith.

After Jesus’ death and resurrection, but before he ascended into heaven, he made several appearances to his disciples. The story of one of those appearances is the scripture we read today (John 20:19-31 for those following along from afar) . In it, Jesus says some important words to his followers: 

“Peace to you. Just as the Father sent me, I send you.” Then he took a deep breath and breathed into them. “Receive the Holy Spirit,” he said. “If you forgive someone’s sins, they’re gone for good.”

Jesus told them that this transformative work of God is work that must be carried on from generation to generation. God did an amazing act by sending God’s own son, Jesus. The world was not getting the message of who God is and so God had to intervene in a powerful way by sending Jesus, coming down to Earth in human form. “Now,” Jesus said to his disciples, “You must carry on the mission. For example, you tell people that their sins are forgiven and they will understand that their sins are forgiven for good, just like I have done this for you.” 

The disciples understood. There was just one problem. Thomas was not there that day. Thomas must have been like some of us who are very concrete thinkers. Maybe he would have been a scientist or an engineer in our day. We call him “doubting Thomas” today. He simply could not take the word of someone else. He needed to see Jesus for himself first hand. 

I can be like that too. Some might call it stubborn, or just an independent streak. We are unwilling to accept something based on the experience of another person. We need to learn it first- hand. You know, like when a mother tells a baby, “don’t touch that stove; it’s hot.” But you just have to touch it yourself. 

Some of us just have to learn by doing. We have to learn things the hard way.  Thomas had to see Jesus in order to know that he had risen from the dead. And here is the thing about Jesus. He knew his disciples. They were his best friends. He knew everything there was to know about every one of them. And he was willing to do whatever it took to prepare them to go out into the world to lead his mission once he ascended into heaven. I’ll bet when Jesus showed up the first time and saw that Thomas was not here, Jesus thought to himself, “Oh, I know Thomas. He is going to have to see me for himself. I’m going to have to come back next week to reassure him. But if that is what it takes then I will do it,” because the mission was that important and everyone needed to be a part of it.

And so Jesus came back the next week for Thomas. Jesus came through the locked doors, stood among them, and said, “Peace to you.”   Then he focused his attention on Thomas. “Take your finger and examine my hands. Take your hand and stick it in my side. Don’t be unbelieving. Believe.”Thomas said, “My Master! My God!” Jesus said, “So, you believe because you’ve seen with your own eyes. Even better blessings are in store for those who believe without seeing.”

I love this story of Thomas because it shows how much Jesus loves each one of us. And how Jesus will do whatever it took to help his disciples be equipped to go out into the world to do their work. My first teacher, Craig Rice, would do anything to make sure I was a better pastor, prepared to the leave the church where we worked together, and go to my first church to be a pastor on my own. He wanted to be sure I was ready to go and lead a church and begin to mentor other leaders to go into the world and teach people about God and God’s love. 

But you see, you don’t have to be a pastor to do this. You surely don’t have to have a seminary degree. Just look at the first disciples. They had no formal training. Well, yes they got to spend time with Jesus, but they had little education, most of them. 

They did get to know Jesus first hand. They simply had an experience, and they had to share it. That is how this movement spreads.

So, how about you? Who has been your teacher? Who has revealed to you to character of God? Who is a follower of Jesus who has touched your life with the qualities of Jesus: compassion, patience, forgiveness, humility, generosity, peace, and self-control? Can you think of a friend or a family member who has exhibited those traits for you? They are filled with the Spirit of God in a way that inspires you. Of course they are not perfect. No one is perfect, except Jesus. But they seem to have a better hold on these things than you do; compassion, patience, forgiveness, humility, generosity, peace and self-control. 

My friend Karyn is one of these people for me. I call her on the phone when I get discouraged and she builds me back up. She tells me to stop being so hard on myself. She reminds me that I am a beloved child of God and that I am not perfect. 

When I am having problems in a relationship she helps me see more clearly and she helps me hold to those values of Jesus that we both hold dear. Sometimes when I am in the midst of a conflict with a loved one, I can’t navigate the situation on my own. In the thick of it,  I can’t remember what my core values are without the help of a trusted friend who holds the same values. It wouldn’t do any good, for me, to seek advice from a friend who is not living by the same core values as me. So I call Karyn.

She does all these things for me, because she knows I need to be strong in my own walk with Jesus, I need to be grounded, so that I can be an example for other people. You see we all need a strong spiritual friend, because we are all also called to BE a strong spiritual friend for someone else. Now I’m a pastor so it’s easy for you to say that I would encourage people in their faith journey. But guess what?

All followers are called to be spiritual guides and encouragers for other followers. Because there is someone in this room who needs your strength, and there is someone out there who needs your example. There is someone out there who won’t listen to me, but they will listen to you because they trust you. They are going to listen to you as they have a relationship with you, but not with me. I’m too churchy. I’m a pastor, but you are a regular person. They will find out you go to church, and they will think: “hmmm, maybe that is why she has a peace about her that I don’t have. Maybe that is why she does not lose her temper when I seem to. Maybe that is why he seems to be so compassionate toward others. I wish I could be a little more like him. Maybe there is something to that Jesus thing after all.” 

When a person you know loses their temper or gets really discouraged, and comes to you for help, that is an opportunity to say, “Have you ever tried to pray?” They may dismiss you and that is ok. At least you have put it out there. You have said it and they can come back to it when they are ready. But they might just ask you more about it. Or you could say, “Do you have a church family, because  that is where I find encouragement.” It’s a place to start. 

You don’t have to get out your Bible and give a 30 minute evangelism talk. Most of us find that a turn off. Just start slow, with one simple statement. If they are searching, they will ask you questions. And don’t feel like you have to be an expert. If they ask you a question you don’t feel comfortable answering, just say, “You know what, I don’t have all the answers. By the way, no one does, but I am trying to grow closer to God and that is what matters.” Then if it feels right, ask if you can pick them up and bring them to church, or I’ll meet you there next Sunday.

This is how the Jesus movement started. A bunch of regular folks had an experience with God, and they were changed. They became more compassionate and forgiving and generous. Their character changed.  And when they had the opportunity, they invited other people into this way of life too, because it’s a better way to live. 

The story of Jesus appearing to the Disciples and coming back to make sure Thomas would be included, is a story for us. Jesus wants us to be part of this movement. “Peace” he says to us, “as God sent me, now I send you.” This is the call to us. Go. Go and be examples of how to live in the way of Jesus. And when you have the chance, seize the opportunity. Invite others into this way too. Because, they will never be the same, and neither will you.

No comments: