Sunday, October 2, 2016

Unapologetically Christian by Hafidha Saadiqah (with an assist by Patti Lusher)


          
           
I am a Christian, and I do not mince words when I say this.  I am absolutely, positively, from the soles of my feet to the top of my head, Christian.  There was a time when I could not make that declaration; I was ashamed to, too embarrassed to say it because of all the baggage it continues to be saddled with.  Baggage like:
·      Incomprehensible doctrines like the Trinity, Election, and Hell
·      Ways in which it has functioned as a handmaiden to colonialism,
racism, slavery, misogyny, and homophobia

Nevertheless, as egregious as these crimes are for which it is truly guilty, I unequivocally proclaim that I am happy to be rooted and grounded in the Christian tradition.  Why?  For two simple reasons: First, Christianity calls to me and helps me see what is possible.   And second: this life of faith and devotion is not simply about me.  Here’s what I mean.

            Christianity is my first spiritual language, and try as I might, it refuses to let me go – and I it.  You see, in a very practical sense – and maybe this is your experience too – I am Christian because I was born at a time and place on this soil to parents who were Christian.  And their parents were Christian.  And their parents were Christian.  After that, I can’t say for sure.  So, there are powers beyond me that brought me to claim this faith as my own.  Yet in a deeper sense, in spite of all the appalling and evil ways that some have tried to twist the Christian scriptures and privatize God’s message in Jesus, I have found good news in this tradition.  And, this good news is dangerous, explosive, and profoundly radical.  In it, I see what is possible for myself and the world in which I live.  Not that all people must become Christian, but through it people can see that Christianity proclaims a way to peace and justice and right relations.  Through the thick mist of cultures, languages and customs, an array of writers and writers and truth claims, it points towards a condition of the heart, that can lead to a new way of seeing and being.  And even when I’m not feeling this faith, this faith somehow continues to hold on to me until I can hear it, see it, and feel it again. 

            I am unapologetically a Christian because as I have struggled and grown into it, I’ve realized that this life of faith, my life of faith, is not simply about me.  Someone is watching me – whether I like it or not.  Someone is curious to know if and how this Christianity can work.  I’m realizing it’s not about being perfect or knowing it all.  But, it’s about being aware and available to the Spirit so it can transform my often clumsy and hesitant witness into grace-filled words and behaviors that draw others to God. 

This is what Paul was reminding Timothy of in the passage you saw on the screen:
….rekindle the gift of God that is within you
            Guard the good treasure entrusted to you
Timothy was shown the faith through his mother, Eunice, and his grand-mother, Lois.  They were examples to him, and, they left a legacy for him to claim that faith and make it his own.
            Timothy was blessed.  And, I consider myself blessed because of the role models I had and have.  They weren’t perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but, they were the ones that God put in my path.  They are the ones who still help me see the compelling power and richness of the gospel and this faith that I call my own. Now, if you’re thinking that you are not able to say the same, that this is not your story, I ask you to think again.  If it wasn’t your parents, or Sunday school teachers, or anyone like that, then who was it?  Who was your Eunice?  Who is your Lois?  Who continues to influence you?  Who was/is it who might have said:

·      “Don’t give up on the Church, on God, on Jesus.” or,
·      “Just take what blesses you and leave the rest.”  or,
·      “It’s about love and grace and acceptance and enough room.”
Who came alongside you and helped you see through all the rules and minutiae of organized religion so that you could find a home for your head and your heart in Christianity – a religious and spiritual tradition that is as ever-new as it is ancient?

            Paul wrote Timothy to encourage him to claim his legacy and pass it on.  So this morning, regardless of how thoroughly you see yourself as a Christian, and how long you’ve been one, I ask to whom might you be serving as an example?  Who might be watching you?  To whom are you leaving a legacy of faith and love?  To whom will you be a Eunice or a Lois?  There are no easy answers and quick routes.   But, answers do come as we wrestle with God and embrace life itself.  The way is shown as we are becoming.  We become Christian as we continue to rekindle the gift of God that is within each of us, and as we guard the good treasure that has been entrusted to us.  I encourage us all to find someone, that you can come alongside in prayer, so they can rekindle that fire and spirit burning within them. Perhaps, just perhaps that rekindling and guarding starts again… today as we find our way to this table.   For in this table there is joy, hope, forgiveness, wisdom, and welcome.  In this bread and cup we can find what we need to unapologetically declare that we are Christian, for God has not given us a spirit of cowardice, but rather a spirit of power and of love and of self-discipline.  Claim it!  Amen!

No comments: